Friday, September 13, 2013

The importance of sketching and a work in progress.

Hey there everyone! I just wanted to touch on something I've been thinking about today. When I'm in the middle of a large(ish) project, (particularly a project that I didn't conceive myself), I tend to get burned out. A block wedges itself between me and my creativity. I think everyone has experienced this at one point or another and it can be insanely frustrating.

There have been times that I've sat down at my desk to get some work done and four hours later all I've managed to do is paint, delete, and repaint the same thing five hundred times. When that happens, it's easy to stand up, wipe your hands of the project for the day, and take a nap. The best way to avoid falling into that trap for me is to draw tons of junk.



A couple of days ago I had absolutely non motivation to work on the projects in my queue, so I decided to draw lady heads for a little bit. It was very liberating. As soon as I started sketching, that stupid wedge that gets lodged in my brain started to loosen and pull free. The more I draw, the more I loosened up and the more I was able to think creatively.


Once ideas started coming to me more freely I wanted to have some real fun. I can only draw pretty things for so long before I have to draw something weird or ugly so I started sketching some creature heads. By the time I'd drawn a few of these I felt more than ready to work on whatever I needed to that day.

I have a drawer in my desk dedicated to filled sketchbook pages and every once in a while I'll pull them out and use one as inspiration for an illustration. 


I'm going to be attending an event at the Cartoon Arts Museum in San Francisco next weekend and I wanted a new print to sell while I was there. I really liked the flaming monkey sketch I did the other day so last night I decided to do an illustration of him riding the warthog/rhinoceros dude that I also sketched that day. Here's the progress I've made on it so far. It still has a long way to go, but I like the way it's turning out so far.

Anyway, I just wanted to ramble a little bit about the benefits of drawing. I try to draw a little bit every day just to stay loose and keep the creative juices flowing. Cool things often come out as a result. Hope this was beneficial to at least some of you. Thanks a million. Cheers!




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful work and very informative. I'm learning to draw, myself, and I sit there with this Intuos Pro Large and look at Photoshop like, what do I do next?

    I use your work as help to practice on braking down your characters by shape. Any help or advice? I'd appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete